Sunday, January 31, 2010

No. Boxed. Mixes.


I was at the market, in the baking isle, and I saw brownies, mmm, brownies... They looked so good, so chocolate-y, so easy. I instantly grabbed a box and tossed it to my cart. It was with me for quite a while, staring up at me, we were very happy together. This box stayed with me a long while, making it all the way to the checkout line and almost onto the belt, when I realized what I was doing... STOP! I grabbed the box just before it was scanned, and ran it back to the baking isle, right where I had found it. Sorry, I can't do this...it's not you, it's me. I had committed a minor sin in the culinary world... Even when it seems so much more convenient, so much easier, you must stay strong and repeat after me: NO. BOXED. MIXES.

I promise you, these brownies are really simple, quick to mix and it's so much more rewarding to make something this good from scratch. I try to always have dark chocolate, butter, flour, and eggs stocked and ready. If you are well prepared, then this brownie heaven can be yours, too!

Dark Chocolate Brownies
Adapted from Donna Hay, Entertaining.

8 oz. butter (2 sticks)
8 oz. dark chocolate
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Fleur De Sel to sprinkle on top before baking.

Preheat oven to 350.
Place butter and chocolate in a sauce pan over very low heat and melt, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
Beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until light and thick. Fold the egg mixture with the melted butter and chocolate.
Add flour and baking powder and gently fold through.
Pour mixture into a greased 8 x 8 pan ( I line my pans with parchment after I butter the pan).
Sprinkle some Fleur de Sel on top of wet mix.
Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes, or until set.
Allow to cool and dust with either cocoa powder or powdered sugar.

Makes about 1 dozen squares.
No chocolate for you, Auggie : )

2 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

this was hysterical..i laughed out loud...cause i have done it too...more then once..then i say...Kary..what are you doing..put that back...

Auggie is adorable...my buddy LOVES chocolate..so we dip white chocolate milk bones for him...he licks off all the chocolate..and then he's DONE...

enjoyed this.....really cute

Anonymous said...

This was a great blog. Your writing was really good. And how cute is Auggie? He's a grown man now...