Monday, August 3, 2009

H2O

















I believe it is safe to say that by now, across the country, it's pretty darn HOT! Here, in Southern California, summer seemed a little delayed, but has finally hit at full-force, and I couldn't be happier -- and more dehydrated. For me, drinking water is a chore, I never seem to get enough and by the end of the day, I am absolutely parched. I was inspired to make this the other night when some friends came over and instead of serving Pellegrino, I made a pitcher of cucumber, lemon and basil water and it was well received. This is not any kind of revelation, many spas serve some sort of lovely infused water, and I always feel a little more pampered when something like this is handed to me - so I thought, why don't I just make it myself? This simple, gently flavored water is such a decadent way to quench ones thirst and I, for one, find myself drinking much more water when I have a pitcher of this in my fridge.

All you need is a large pitcher, (glass preferably), and fresh citrus, such as lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, etc and fresh herbs, such as mint or basil, fresh berries... the list is infinite. Be sure to thoroughly wash everything before you add water. Buying organic, in this case, is important, so as to not drink whatever has been sprayed on the fruit or herbs. It will keep for about 24 hours, you can keep replenishing water to the fruit/herbs throughout the day.

2 comments:

Chris Cuvelier said...

I often make my own flavored water at home by simply putting fruit in a jug and letting it sit...its so good!!

I really encourage my kids to drink homemade flavored waters, smoothies, and naturally brewed iced teas instead of artificially sweetened and unhealthy sodas and drinks

ckeller said...

Chris, that is good stuff!